Like a lot of you, on working days I hardly have any time to prepare a normal dinner. A normal working day for me looks like this:
06:30: Wake up, take shower and brush teeth, do hair and make-up, get dressed.
07:00: Children wake up (as they sleep in the same room at the moment they conveniently wake up at the same time),
wash and dress them, brush their teeth.
07:15: Feed children and pack my backpack with laptop and food for work (overnight oats, 2 slices of banana cake, 2
pieces of fruit, salad for lunch, anything that’s left over from the night before – all prepared before and
ALWAYS the same recipy so I don’t forget anything ).
07:40: Prepare bike, put all bags in basket, put children on bike.
07:55: Drop children at daycare.
08:30: Start workday and finally eat my own breakfast.
17:30: End workday.
18:00: Pick up children and cycle home.
So… this means I’m home at 18:15, my children (as well as my husband and I) are hungry and tired. If I haven’t prepared dinner the day before (as I should because it makes my life a hell of a lot easier) I can always fall back on the quick and easy dinner: pasta.
Ingredients quick and easy pasta
There are ingredients I ALWAYS have in stock:
– Pasta – penne, tagliatelle, spaghetti, any kind you prefer really. Tip: try the spelt or the whole-wheat
versions for variation.
– Fresh garlic.
– 2 Courgettes – this is a vegetable you can easily use in EVERY pasta dish because of its relatively neutral
– 2 Cans of peeled tomatoes – the perfect base to make a quick and easy pasta sauce.
– Sour cream – the perfect add on to the canned tomatoes to give your tomato sauce more ‘bite’.
– All types of (olive) oil (virgin, extra virgin, truffle, etc).
– Dried herbs – basil, oregano, thyme, dill, Italian herbs.
– Cherry tomatoes (if I don’t use them in a recipe, I just take them to work as a snack before they turn
– Buffalo mozerella.
Preparation quick and easy pasta
– Put a pan with already boiling or hot water on the stove. Wait until the water boils and add the pasta.
Cook al dente for the number of minutes that is indicated on the package of the pasta.
– While the pasta is cooking cut or press the garlic and mix with virgin olive oil. Leave for a few minutes.
– Peel the courgettes, cut it in the full length and make small pieces.
– Wash the cherry tomatoes and cut them in half.
– Cut the buffalo mozzerella in 6 thick slices.
– Put a wok on the stove, add the mix of garlic and olive oil.
– Before the garlic turns brown add the cut courgettes and turn them until the turn a light brown/yellow
– Add 2 cans of peeled tomatoes, the sour cream and the herbs that you like.
– Lower the flame and cook slow. The sauce shouldn’t boil!
– The pasta should be cooked al dente now. Remove the pan from the stove and remove the water from the pan.
Add the pasta to the sauce.
– Add the cut cherry tomatoes for only a minute and remove the woke from the stove.
– Put the pasta on plates, pull long slices of the mozzarella and put it on top of the pasta.
– Top it off with the parmesan and fresh basil or arugula if you happen to have it.
Enjoy you very simple and quickly prepared pasta!
In need for a dessert afterwards? Try my carrotcake truffles.